A full time Finance Executive position is available paying R1.2M neg. CA(SA) for a new business unit of listed Financial Services company. Initially more a stand-alone role but will grow quickly into the Finance Executive. Initially supervising 2 Accountants. Business is set to grow quickly once it is launched. Candidate should have had experience in, amongst other things, putting in new policies procedures, systems and controls.
Will assume full responsibility for and be accountable for the subsidiary’s finance function, encompassing:
- Finance operations (including management accounting, budgeting, results presentations, annual reports, financial statement preparation and external audit);
- Taxation functions;
- Compliance and governance for the group executive office; and
- Risk function (ensuring sufficient appropriate internal controls, liaising with and facilitating group internal audit, ethics and risk functions).
Your detailed responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the timely, regular and efficient reporting of financial results, including monthly management accounts, reviewed half year results, annual reports and audited annual financial statements, in line with the Group requirements. In this regard, you will report to the CEO of the Subsidiary and the FD of the Holdco.
- Assume full responsibility for the planning, controlling and completion of the year end and interim audit process of the Subsidiary.
- Assume full responsibility for the completion of the annual financial statements.
- Assume responsibility for the preparation of an annual budget and a 24 month rolling forecast.
- Monitor and predict any variance in the Subsidiary’s operating performance, which is likely to have a direct or indirect adverse impact on budgets, forecasts, covenants and other obligations. Conduct and respond to formal and regular reviews of the Subsidiary in this regard.
- Research all technical accounting matters, including liaison with external auditors, tax advisors, lawyers and other experts; and sign-off regarding all technical accounting matters.
- Assist in mapping the management accounts of the Subsidiary to the Group consolidation platform.
- Manage the development, productivity and delivery of the Subsidiary’s accounting team.
- Ensure operational taxation compliance (both direct and indirect taxation).
- Ensure that the group’s taxation affairs are structured efficiently (both direct and indirect taxation).
- Research all taxation matters, including liaison with tax advisors and other experts; and sign-off regarding all taxation matters.
Compliance and governance:
- Ensure that the Subsidiary provides Holdco with any and all information required to complete its statutory returns timeously and accurately.
- Oversee management of legal risk via legal advice, reviews and/or outsourcing.
- Ensure governance and ethical structures are in place, in conjunction with all stakeholders requirements.
- Ensure compliance with King III as required by the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee.
- Oversee and sign-off regarding all company secretarial matters.
- Oversee the staff incentive scheme, in accordance with Group policy, including liaison with scheme members.
- Prepare the Subsidiary pack for review and discussion at Board meetings, Audit, Risk and Compliance and Social & Ethics Committee meetings.
- Research all compliance matters, including liaison with external auditors, tax advisors, lawyers and other experts; and sign-off regarding all compliance matters.
Risk and Internal Audit:
- Understand operational risks, and ensure that adequate controls are in place.
- Ensure robust systems of internal control are implemented and the integrity thereof maintained in this regard. You will ensure that adequate financial reporting and operational controls are maintained to safeguard and preserve the assets of the company, ensure accurate and complete management accounting in accordance with IFRS, the Companies Act, the Income Tax Act, VAT Act and all other applicable regulations. You will be required to work closely with the external auditors and Holdco internal audit department in support of the Board’s requirement for assurance on the accounting and control environment.
- Understand the business, and analyse environmental (economic, social, political, legal) and industry (market, competitive, technological) forces and trends that shape the financial viability and health of the business. Via a deep understanding of the business operations and management information, you will work closely with the Subsidiary CEO and other executives, thereby:
- Enhancing the operations, assets and performance of the Subsidiary from a financial, risk and capital perspective; and
- Establishing greater business strategies, operating plans, financial budgets and forecasts of the Subsidiary from a financial, risk and capital perspective.
- Ensure that reporting controls and risk tolerances are in place to adequately detect and report on any undue risks.
- CA(SA) with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in an accounting / financial reporting role;
- 2+ years management experience is essential;
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint Skills;
- Experience in designing and implementing accounting and financial reporting structures as well as designing, implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls is essential; and
- Experience in the insurance, value added services or affinity and loyalty industries beneficial